Beach Body Ready: the Stomach
Worried about your midsection? If you want to slim it down before slipping your bathing suit on, I have some diet and exercise tips for you!
First, however, I want to stress that women need some fat around the stomach. Our bodies are designed to keep that area padded so that we can bear children. Whether you have/want children or not, you should have some fat in this area of your body. Eliminating all of the fat is unhealthy.
If you are looking to strengthen your stomach area in a healthy way, there are two prongs of attack: diet and exercise.
- Put a lemon wedge or two into your water. The lemon wedge helps speed up your metabolism.
- Minimize your sodium intake. Sodium causes water retention and bloating.
- Eat small meals often. Eating every 3-4 hours keeps blood sugar and insulin low, which prevents you from storing excess fat.
- Do not eat anything 2-3 hours before sleeping. Your body’s metabolism slows down while sleeping, so it will not properly digest food that is eaten immediately prior to falling asleep.
- Doing exercises that focus on a certain area of the body will not burn fat in that specific area. If you want to lose a healthy amount of fat, the best way to do that is to engage in cardio. Cardio will help you burn fat over your entire body.
Focusing on a certain area of the body will tone that area, however. Just be careful not to build up muscle underneath a layer of fat.
- Hate crunches? There are crunch-free exercises; a great one is the plank.
- However, crunches are one of the best exercises to tone the abdominal area, when properly executed.